When we heard of the assistance from the Government for promoting organic farming, major institution comes into the picture is the NPOP.
National Program for Organic Production(NPOP)
From 2001 onwards, Government Of India promoting Organic Farming through third-party certification under NPOP. Through stringent standards & better-quality for exports, it is the body who is giving information systems criteria & procedures for accreditation. The standards & procedures are in align with Codex and International Federation Of Organic Agriculture Movements (IFOAM). It got recognition from the European Commission & Switzerland. It also got the recognition from the National Organic Programme (NOP) of the United States Department of Agriculture(USDA).
NPOF(National Programme on Organic Farming)
• 25-30% financial outlay
• INR40-60 lakh by NABARD for the establishment of bio-fertilizer units
• For integrated use of chemical and organic manure including bio-fertilizers
This is the gist of the scheme.
The measures are taken by the Indian Government and brief insights about the various schemes to promote organic farming as follows-
1. National Mision for Sustainable Agriculture(NMSA)
The various states government are providing the 100% assistance for setting up mechanization of fruit/vegetable waste
Complete assistance for setting up of bio-fertilizer and bio-pesticide manufacturing units
INR 85 Lakh assistance for setting up a bio-fertilizer testing quality control laboratory
So, implementing agencies of these schemes are-
So, to get the more details about the scheme, visit your nearby KVKs
2. National Horticulture Mission (NHM) and Horticulture Mission for North East and Himalayan State
You can also read the subsidy for the Hydroponics-
3. Paramapragat Krishi Vikas Yojana (PKVY)
Farmers who are cultivating organic crops for 3 years will be given INR 20,000
INR 2,500/acre for branding, printing, holograms, labelling and procurement of packaging material.
INR 120,000 for the transportation of Organic products will be given for 1 Cluster of 50 acres.
When it is promoting through organizing events and arranging the stalls the financial assistance will be given such as rent, publicity material and associated other expenses.
There is a specific focus on the North-East Region with respect to organic farming.
Two major programs in the NER are:
1. Horticulture Mission for North East and the Himalayan States (HMNEH)
2. The mission for Organic Value Chain Development for Northeast regions (MOVCDNER) under the National Mission for Sustainable Agriculture (NMSA)
4. Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana (RKVY)
Approval taken from the state-level approval committee, the promotion of organic farming will be done in various components.r Integrated Development of Horticulture (MIDH)
5. National Food Security Mission(NFSM) and Accelerated Pulses Production Programme (A3P)
The various states like Sikkim, Nagaland, Mizoram, Odisha, Kerala, Andra Pradesh, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Gujrat, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan have their own state policy regarding organic farming.
Government Schemes related to Organic Farming